Classic Cars Owned by Eric Clapton, Herbie Hancock, Jayne Mansfield, Ava Gardner, Dolores del Rio and Jack Warner among entries in Palos Verdes Concours d’Elegance September 18.
People who attend a Concours de Elegance not only want to view classic automobiles, they also like to know which vehicles were owned by celebrities. The Palos Verdes Concours d’Elegance at the Trump National Golf Club in Rancho Palos Verdes, CA on Sunday, September 18, will not disappoint them.
Among the 200 cars on display are these celebrity-linked autos:
- 1926 Lincoln Model 149, owned by movie mogul Jack Warner, founder of Warner Bros.
- 1930 Cord L-29 Town Car, owned by silent film star Dolores Del Rio.
- 1957 Dual Ghia, owned by actress Ava Gardner, whose husbands included Mickey Rooney, Artie Shaw and Frank Sinatra.
- 1962 Shelby Cobra, owned since new by musician Herbie Hancock
- 1966 right-hand drive Ferrari 275 GTS, whose owners included rock star Eric Clapton and movie star Jayne Mansfield, whose daughter is Emmy and Golden Globe winner Mariska Hargitay, star of Law and Order, Special Victims Unit.
Spectators will stroll among more than 200 prewar, postwar and specialty automobiles competing in 21 classes. This year's theme is California Design and Style, and the featured marques are the cars of Howard “Dutch” Darrin, Woodies and Muscle Cars. A list of classes can be viewed here». Restoration Alley, where craftsmen demonstrate how classic cars are made concourse-ready, will also highlight student automotive projects from schools in Palos Verdes, Pasadena and Orange County.
The 100th anniversary of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be celebrated by a display of six historic cars driven at the Brickyard by Parnelli Jones, Dan Gurney and other top racers.
This year's Grand Marshal, noted French-American artist Guy Buffet, will be honored at a Bistro d’Elegance dinner following the Tour d'Epicure Road Rallye on Saturday, September 17. The popular Rallye will start at the Banning Museum in Wilmington and end at the Palos Verdes Golf Club.
In honor of the Concours, Buffet has created a painting of the Palos Verdes Peninsula which will grace the cover of the event’s program and be auctioned on line - starting September 1 - to raise funds for Concours’ charities.
For more information, to purchase tickets, and to check out the on-line auction go to www.pvconcours.org or call 866-522-7746. The Palos Verdes Concours is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit with proceeds benefiting the Palos Verdes Art Center and Palos Verdes Rotary Foundation Charities, including Harbor Area Boys & Girls Clubs
Web site: www.palosverdes.org