Recipient of the 2013 award for
OUTSTANDING COMMUNITY SERVICE PROGRAM
by the Palos Verdes Peninsula Chamber of Commerce
What is the Palos Verdes Rotary Foundation? It’s people just like you who have concern for others. We have been serving the community for more than 50 years, providing opportunities for hands-on volunteer service in addition to support for a variety of philanthropic causes throughout the South Bay and Harbor areas.
Rotary has always been about improving the communities we live. And though we are located in Palos Verdes, our Foundation is about making a difference where it is needed most. When the Wilmington Boys & Girls Club needed help with providing hot meals for their kids, we were there with volunteers and funds to build a new kitchen. The Foundation likewise built a Learning Center at the San Pedro Boys & Girls Club.
Through our Palos Verdes Peninsula Rotary Foundation, we provide need-based college scholarships for graduating high school seniors and in the College Bound Program of the Boys & Girls Club of Los Angeles Harbor. In just the past two years our Foundation has provided more than $60,000 in financial aid to students who may have otherwise missed an opportunity to attend college.
The Foundation serves as aggregator and vetting service to provide volunteer manpower and funding to a wide variety of community organizations including Habitat for Humanity, H.E.L.P., Crestmont College, Helpline Youth Counseling, Hospice, Toberman Settlement House, San Pedro YMCA, and many more.
Whether you are an Exhibitor, one of our many Sponsors, a Road Rallye Participant, or any of the thousands of Show Goers, your particpation with the Palos Verdes Concours D’Elegance is very important to us and we are very grateful for your support. You are contributing to great causes and community improvement.
Vets Corps USA is a non-profit vocational rehabilitation program that provides job training for returning Veterans. Working closely with the West Los Angeles V. A. Hospital, both injured and non-injured Veterans are offered a wide variety of job training in this program. Vets Corps USA is currently training and paying returning Veterans to sew bears, assemble medical kits for police and military personnel, design and silk screen T-shirts, sew and silk screen reusable shopping bags under the name “GreenVets LA” which has had a big impact on our environment and economy.
Every part of our manufacturing process is done locally in Los Angeles, CA. GreenVets LA is proud to help the L.A. work force and local economy while also helping the environment by greatly reducing our carbon footprint.
PALOS VERDES ART CENTER
Palos Verdes Art Center has been one of the main charitable beneficiaries of the Palos Verdes Concours D’Elegance since the event was founded 22 years ago, using the funds received to underwrite PVAC’s arts education, exhibitions and programming. This year, we will use the funds to support the Beverly G. Memorial Education Fund, which awards scholarships to young artists who are current students and recent graduates of Southern California undergraduate and graduate programs. A matching grant will double the impact of the gift.
Palos Verdes Art Center / Beverly G. Alpay Center for Arts Education, a non-profit community visual arts school and gallery, inspires individuals to create, appreciate and celebrate art. Since it was founded in 1931, PVAC’s exhibition, education and outreach programs have made the visual arts available, accessible and affordable.
Palos Verdes Art Center provides an economically and ethnically diverse community with:
- Free art exhibitions, featuring national, international and regionally significant artists and juried exhibitions. Related educational programming including lectures and supplementary workshops.
- Studio art classes for all ages and skill levels in drawing, painting, ceramics, sculpture, art history, photography, printmaking and wearable art. Tuition is modest, and financial assistance is available.
- Awards and scholarships. In its 17 years, the Beverly G. Alpay Memorial Education Fund has given almost $200,000 to students and artists.
- Art experiences for differently-abled youth and adults. Special Mornings works with students in special education classes in Los Angeles County.
- School-based art education for more than 7,000 Palos Verdes Peninsula students each year through Art at Your Fingertips and Partners in Art
- Standards-based art programs for schools through artist-taught workshops, artists residencies and exhibition tours.
Palos Verdes Art Center, and the community it serves, greatly appreciates the support of the Palos Verdes Concours D’Elegance